Thursday, July 9, 2015

Healthy Hazelnut Creamer

Coffee is my biggest health struggle. For so long I've either had a super sweet drink or nothing at all. I've been getting myself closer and closer to a strictly natural drink and today I've finally found one that is epic!

I've realized that I fall off the wagon on eating healthy because I haven't learned how to utilize spices and natural flavors to make my healthy food interesting. You can only have so much plain veggies before saying, "just give me a freaking pizza." ;]

This homemade healthy hazelnut creamer will be my coffee's best friend from now on. It can be adapted with any nut of your choosing! I got the majority of my ingredients from Trader Joes.
-Ingredients-
-2 cups of roasted and unsalted hazelnuts
-1/2 cup of coconut cream from a can
-3 tsp pure hazelnut or vanilla extract
-Pinch of salt
-2 tbsp honey
-3 cups of filtered water
-1 tsp stevia
-Directions-
-Put the hazelnuts in a medium bowl and cover with cold water to soak for 4-6 hours (I did 4).
-Drain the hazelnuts and place in a blender or food processor to grind down, adding in the 3 cups of water as you go. Mine came to a consistency similar to almond meal. I have not mastered the processing of nuts yet so this took me a while. I found that adding the water in once most of the hazelnuts had been ground up to be helpful. It kept the blades digging into the mixture. 
-Add in all of your other ingredients and blend well.
-Next you will drain the liquid from the nut meal. I used a handheld strainer that had pretty tight weaves. Others have recommended a milk nut bag or cheese cloth. I found my strainer worked just fine, but it did take time to drain it all. I did it in batches and used a spoon to press the liquid out. I discarded the remains this time, but next time I will try to utilize it somewhere else. 
-Now you have your creamer! Store in a sealed container in the fridge and you're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment